Wednesday, April 27, 2011

{DIY Wall Art}

I have had this project done for about a month now, but we have been traveling so much that I never made time for posting it. Can you guess what it is?


WALL ART! The best part about this is that it didn't cost very much! I was looking for something that would be bright and colorful, but that I could take down if, I mean, when, we move. :) Anything this size in vinyl costs at least $100. Wanna know how much it cost me? I'll tell you at the end of the post!

Here is the entire view:
I made all the flower blossoms out of tissue paper. There are lots of tutorials out there-you actually make these the exact same as the puff balls you can hang from ceilings {fan fold sheets of tissue paper together, tie in the center, cut the edges to the shape you want, and start spreading the sheets apart.}


I also needed a cheap frugal way to make the tree trunk and the leaves, and I was L.O.V.I.N.G. all the craft projects done with book pages, so I grabbed some posterboard, traced out my tree trunk and leaves, and started Modge-podging book pages from the dollar store onto it. {I LUV that stuff!}


After the trunk was done I dry brushed some chocolate brown craft paint over it and let that dry. For my leaves I just cut out scrapbook paper and crinkled it up before glueing to the posterboard. Then I inked all the edges of everything with my favorite: Walnut Stain Ink {you can find it in the scrapbook section of your craft store}


The best thing is that it is 3-D and gives Little Miss M's bedroom some depth. Not to mention how cheery it makes everything. Now I just need to make a bird to perch on the lower branch.


What do you think?

Cost break down:
  • Posterboard: 2 pieces $1.00
  • Tissue paper: I had plenty at home but needed a few other colors so I bought a huge multi-pack for $5.00 {I won't need to buy any more for YEARS!!}
  • Walnut Ink Stain Stamp Pad: $3.00
  • These things I already had from my stash of craft stuff so FREE for me!
  1. Scrapbook Paper-3 coordinating colors
  2. Modge Podge
  3. Foam brush
  4. Brown Craft Paint
TOTAL: $9.00

Can't beat that for an easy and inexpensive way to decorate a bedroom wall!

1 comment:

  1. so cute!! i am SO not creative like this... i love it that you are though!

    ReplyDelete